Hakuhoudoh, and Studio Ghibli

Opening to the public:July 15, 1995

Screening time:111 minutes

Distribution:Touhoh

Distribution income:1,800,000,000 yen

(about 1,630,000 dollars)

Outline

Shizuku is junior high-school student who lives in a housing development
in suburbs in Tokyo. She is passing to the library well though is an examinee.

Shizuku finds the name written on the lending card of the book on a certain
day. The name is "Amasawa Seiji". He was previously reading all
books which Shizuku had borrowed.

"Amasawa Seiji......What kind of boy he is. Might he be a wonderful
boy? "

Shizuku went to the school during the summer vacation to meet Yuuko. As
for Shizuku to have the library room ask teacher Kusaka and opened, the
book there also finds "Amasawa" sign. As for Shizuku, this was
anxious very much. Shizumu showed Yuko the translation of incomplete "Country
Road",and they rose by the substitution song of "Concrete Road".
Then, "Amasawa" has been forgotten in "Unpleasant fellow"
which appears suddenly while Shizuku's"Concrete Road" being made
fun.

Well, Shizuku goes out to report father's lunch on such a day which is.
Shizuku meets the cat by chance in the train on the way of that. When the
cat is run after, it is the "Chikyuh-ya" earth shop gutter on
the hill. The shop is managed by the grandfather named Nishi. Then, Shizuku
by which time has been spent hurries to the library panicking. However,
Shizuku forgets the lunch in the earth shop. It was "Unpleasant fellow"
to have reported the lunch by which Shizuku had been bantered yesterday.

As for Shizuku, the lending card of the book at the library also found
the name of " Amasawa Seiji". She regarded what kind of person
again "Amasawa" was. The face of "Unpleasant fellow"
a little while ago was associated at that time, but she denied the association
panicking.

Shizuku was anxious abour "Amasawa" by all means and she visited
the teacher in the staff room. And, she questioned on "Amasawa".
However, Shizuku dashes out from the staff room panicking because it seems
to understand the mystery unexpected and early any longer. Shizuku was
not able to prepare knowing all still.

It passes each other with "Unpleasant fellow" on the passage
immediately after that. After all, a boy who had completely disregarded
Shizuku though only that bantered me was "Unpleasant fellow".

However,soon it is understood that "Amasawa Seiji" will be "Unpleasant
fellow" exactly. Shizuku thought "Amasawa" a gentle and
quiet boy. Therefore, it was shock very that "Unpleasant fellow"
was "Amasawa" for her. However, Shizuku knows that Amasawa Seiji
has already had the target of the life and makes an effort toward it. The
image "Unpleasant fellow" where Shizuku had him went out gradually.

Shizuku was suddenly called in Seiji at lunchtime of the following day.
She was avoided classmate's eyes and went up to the rooftop. Seiji told
her that the regulations of his going to Italy to study. Shizuku feels
haste. Because Seiji advances previously fast toward the target though
she does not have the target. Therefore, even if love was indirectly confessed
from Seiji, Shizuku was not able to be obediently pleased.

Shizuku goes to consult the house of Yuko at the night. She thought to
test her ability because Seiji goes to Italy to confirm my ability And,
she determines that the story is written.

By the way, it was not easy for Shizuku to write the story. She decided
to finish up the story by the time Seiji returned to Japan. She had only
a little time. Because the result of the school fell, she is questioned
about it by her family. However, she kept writing the story because she
had had the family understand.

Shizuku visits the earth shop late on the afternoon in late autumn. The
purpose is to have the grandfather Nishi read her story first. If the story
was not had to be read at once, Shizuku cannot have been uneasily helped.
Therefore, she was waiting until grandfather Nishi was finishing to read
it. Several houes later, the grandfather Nishi said to Shizuku, "Your
story was very wonderful". Shizuku shouted instinctively hearing it.

"Please say your honest impression. I think that this story can be
a cruel doing."

The grandfather said quiet and gently. Certainly, the story might have
been still incomplete. However, the grandfather found the prospect with
which the possibility of Shizuku was filled to the story.

"I had your possibility in your story. You held out very much. You
are wonderful."

Shizuku began to cry with big tears.

Shizuku awoke early next morning. When she casually opened the window,
Seiji waited under the window. Seiji quickened the schedule and returned
to Japan. Shizuku to be surprised went out of the house panicking. Seiji
took Sgizuku on the height as it is.

Because Seiji had wanted to show the morning sun to Shizuku. And, Seiji
proposes in a serious expression to Shizuku.

"It can't be right away, but will you marry me?"

"............"

"I shall become a independence violin craftsman. And after that..."

"Mm-hmm."

"Really?"

"I'm very happy! I thought that it would be nice if things could turn
out this way, too."

Seiji embraced Shizuku closely with might and main.

"Shizuku, I love you!!"
[此贴子已经被作者于2005-8-29 23:35:01编辑过]

主题

好友

积分

煤炭精

在线时间
0 小时
威望
0 点
财产
4197 个栗子果
人气
0 ℃
最后登录
2005-10-1
注册时间
2005-7-24
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
沙发
发表于 2005-8-29 23:30:53 |只看该作者
Investigate of the story

We can observe several scenes by which Shizuku throws the tear in this movie several times. The first scene is when she was reading the story. Originally, she loved to read the story. Therefore, she has abundant receptivities and she is a girl absorbed to the world of the book at once. As for this movie, such a scene is performed. She was reading the fairy tale eating biscuit without doing the housework being allotted by her. She was floating the tear because she had been impressed too much by reading the fairy tale. However, the tear disappeared easily because suddenly her elder sister comes home and began to complain about Shizuku did not do her housework. After all, her tear thrown first did not have a wonderful meaning by her.

Next, it is time when showed Shizuku's tear by her suddenly received the confession of love from Mr.Sugimura by her in the Shinto shrine. Shizuku was taking part in the consultation of Yuuko's love problem. However, Shizuku might not have had the experience that she receive the confession of love at all. She was a hebetude by no awareness to Sugimura's possession of love by himself at all. The impact which she had received might have been considerable. When coming home, she shed the book of the fairy tale put on the desk, and she turned down the face on the desk and cried and said,"I am the most hebetude girl".
I think that this is a very symbolical scene. The reason is that Shizuku graduated from the girl of reading the story merely, and she was about to become the leading part of the real love story. She accomplishes mental growth further in the scene in the following rooftop thanks to this advance hint.

Shizuku's third tear is the time when she received the confession by Seiji in the rooftop at the school. The tear is different from the kind of tear when she is reading, and different from the kind of tear when she is bewildered what you should do is not understood,too. Under this situation, she considers the existence of opposite sex who likes her.
He said to her, "When I went to Italy, I sang the sobg and held out myself which Shizuku had made a song." Instinctively, she answered, "I also hold out". However, she does not have the target like he has. She knew his target on the previous state evening. Additionally, she learnt that he had the possession of goodwill in Shizuku since before. She has not noticed to it up to now. Though she and he ware reading the same book, he has the target and she does not have it. She wanted to encourage him who went to Italy. However, because he was holding out more than herself, she was not possible to encourage him. If she is not teased by the other students in her class, she has begun to weep in the place and does not learn. No, peehaps, she ran out because she does not show her tear to Seiji.

At this point, she and he were teased by the other students in her class gone up to the rooftop. Then, she ran after them shouting. However, I think that not she felt awkward and ran after them but she ran away to part from him. When she ran to the place where he was not able to see her, she floated a big tear. Perhaps, she noticed that she was jeered at by her good friend Kinu in her back. However, She must not show him her tear was more important for her than she feel awkward toward her friend Kinu, I think.

If following questions "Is the most excellent scene in this movie?" are done by me, I am not hesitatingly and will select this rooftop scene. She was not experiencing love. However, she had love in opposite sex by receiving his confession in the rooftop. She comprehended no possession of what her target and, she began to think what you had to be going to do hereafter. Perhaps, I think that here is a scene to which she grows up most.
The first half of the movie ends by this scene and the latter half that she is going to establish her identity starts. I think that the tear of Shizuku at the rooftop symbolizes the turning point of the movie first half and the latter half.

The last scene to which she threw the tear by the movie is a scene that after the grandfather Nishi read her story. Shizuku was about to catch up with Seiji. And, it is achieved the target to write the story which she imposed on herself. Here, her consideration returns to herself again. The ability which she has now is recognized and her possibility is found again. It can be said that her tear will express her determination which tries to make an effort further toward the target in the future.
Here is a very moving scene. By the way, the element which composes this scene has already been exhausted. Her tear has only the meaning to confirm the element only so to speak. However, everyone sympathizes with her tear because she is too obedient too much in innocence.

I wonder whether we forget the pure fact and whether we forget the importance of throwing the tear while we make puzzled to the bubble business and facing in the recession following bubble.
I am convinced that the tear which Shizuku showed to us is given a very important suggestion to us.

Sugimura favored Shizuku since before. He tried to have the bag taken off in Shizuku. After the examination, he said to her,"I was able to improve it very much". He tried to call her every time the chance was found. However, Shizuku was not interesting in excluding to read book. Because she has not been interested in love yet. Therefore, it was quite ineffectual though he attacked to her hard.

The representation of the confession to Yuko was being asked for to Sugimura by the friend of the club. The friend favored Yuko. But the friend of Sugimura was shy, then he had the confession to Yuko represented to Sugimura. However, Yuko favored Sugimura. The representation of the confession made her disappointed. Therefore, she has cried because she hears it. Sugimura was not able to understand why Yuko had cried. Then, he consulted Shizuku to it. The reason is Sugimura knew that Shizuku and Yuko are chums. Another reason is that Sugimura wanted to increase the chance to talk because Sugimura favored Shizuku. The consultation was done outside the school, the reason is to have wanted to speak only by them.

Sugimura was a quite hebetude. He was not imagined that Yuko had favored him. He did not know the method of dealing with the situation which he did not forecast that Yuko had favored him. Therefore, he was bewildered very much. And, love was confessed to Shizuku in unexpected shape though he did not hope either. Now, Shizuku was a quite hebetude as well as Sugimura. And, she has not experienced love up to now. The much more, it was beyond the limits of the imagination that love was confessed by Sugimura. Therefore, she was bewildered very much,when she heard his confess. And, his courting was rejected.

Sugimura had to research her character more. He might have been able to find a better method if he did so the method of confessing his love to her. Or, he might have been able to teach her that she can become the hero of love by her.

By the way, Seiji favored Shizuku since before, too. He did various actions to have awareness to Shizuku, For instance, he previously borrowed the book which she would borrow in the near future. The purpose is to write his name in the lending record in the book earlier than Shizuku. More, he sat on the seat next her on purpose at the library.

However, Shizuku did not notice to his action. Even an aggressive attack of Sugimura is not effective in Shizuku either. Therefore, it was impossible at all to acquire her. On the contrary, Seiji cannot even have noticed the existence of oneself by her. Fortunately, the chance that Seiji talks for the first time with Shizuku, He said, "A Concrete Road should be stopped" and made fun of her. The impression of the minus can have been given to him by her.

Seiji was a boy who was not able to have confidence far more passively than Sugimura. He likes Shizuku in the real intention. However, he made fun on purpose and disregarded her. His act might be a kind of the expression of love, too.... Seiji does an opposite character as Sugimura. When Shizuku had called at the "Chikyuh-Ya(the shop that Seiji's grandfather manages)", he saw her off riding on the bicycle. When they separated, Seiji was said to Shizuku, "The Concrete Road which you had written is also quite better". He thinks even such a word for him to put out and to have said the maximum courage. His word was an utmost confession at this point for him. The reason for he is that whether Shizuku has love for me is not understood still. As for his feelings, only the half ran to her. He succeeded that his minus image where she had him first manages must to be changed into the plus.

The scene in the rooftop, Seiji was careful, too. He was not able to be convinced of goodwill to him of Shizuku until she means the following word ,"I think that it is nice to go to the same high school with you....I dislike the low degree at my level. " He was able to say himself only after he confirmed it drawing love to Shizuku. He confesses virtual to Shizuku continuously. However, he did not say directly. He said as follows, "After I have gone to Italy, I'll sing your song and try my best." The word was a vague to the last expression.

However, their feelings run enough and are suitable in this word.

Will you think that it is surprising advancement that Shizuku not at all noticed even to such all-out Sugimura comprehends the expression of indirect so that the confession of virtual?

There was sarcastically for the background of her growth an action of Sugimura. The confession which Sugimura had done to Shizuku in the Shinto shrine gave the shake to Shizuku who are not interesting except the story. The confession also taught her to be able to do the love of the reality to her. She has grown up by one step by getting over this event. Shizuku might not have faced the Chikyuh-Ya shop on that day if this event did not exist. Further more, how if she does not grow up even if she goes to the earth shop? Perhaps, Shizuku might have only recognized, "Unpleasant fellow" Seiji, therefore, Seiji might not have had the done art for her either. Exactly, Sugimura tied to Seiji Shizuku.

Now, the morning of the scene in the rooftop of the day, Sugimura ran slap into Shizuku while going to school. This was the last chance that he might catch the mind of Shizuku. He talks to Shizuku who seems to be late, "Run faster". However, he has gone previously deserting her because Shizuku said, "You allowed to go previously". He had to accompany her. Afterwards, I want to show Sugimura the face of Shizuku which has halted. That is, he has in an own action and has gotten off the boyfriend candidate of Shizuku. And, he talked to Yuko disregarding Shizuku in the classroom. Because he had chosen Yuko after all though he might have had regret. At that time, the expression which Shizuku showed is looking very painful miserable.

However, Shizuku might have been settled in this. She has grown up by one step, too. Therefore, she faced the rooftop without shaking any longer even if Seiji appeared suddenly in the classroom by an indeed adequate judgment. And, she was able to touch Seiji in obedient feelings.

I want to apply the pet name "Great preparation person " to Sugimura. He was pitifully a supporting player to the last minute. However, let's be not confirm Seiji by Shizuku, feelings suitable, and exist if he is not.

Express gratitude to Seiji for Sugimura, and hopes to do happily as Yuko.

Shizuku visited teacher Kousaka to the health room during the summer vacation. And, she asked to have the library room key opened. When the summer vacation ended, she went to the health room with her chums and was eating the lunch then. Presume from the natural participation also of teacher Kousaka in their topics, they might be using the health room in the custom partly.

Perhaps, teacher Kousaka is not Shizuku's charge. However, the teacher is a health medicine and the manager in the library room. Therefore, Shizuku who loves reading takes to teacher Kousaka well.

Here, what might place be the health room for Shizuku?

The reason is that it is a place where teacher Kousaka who loves there. And, it is a place where she can readily spend lunchtime. By the way, the health room is not usually used except for injured and unpleasantly. In other wards, In Japan, the student to whom the nature that there is no whereabouts in the school is weak is supposed to use the health room. Does Shizuku really has such an element? No, she does not have such an element. However, the health room is important still existence for Shizuku (Perhaps, with the friend).

Let's think about Shizuku's character described by the movie. First of all, Shizuku does not basically rely on someone. There is no appearance which depends on someone the parent, the elder sister, and the teacher (even Kousaka teacher). She is becoming independent mentally completely. And, she is not making the crowd with the friend a custom.

Of course, Shizuku also has an intimate friend. And, it goes very well and she can go to the library by easily cutting off friend's invitation which going to produce face to chorus part after school. It is a meaning of the truth and relations can be called a good friend.

The friend who always crowds is not necessarily a chum. As a matter of fact, a thin relation is not actually unusual even if it is seemingly seen the friend. Such people dread to be excluded because the invitation is declined. Therefore, such people cannot have courage to decline the invitation. As a result, they acts always together. (Recently, a portable telephone of personal gains in popularity also in Japan. There are following theories that the person who dreads to be excluded by the reason that the report cannot be taken is occupying customer's many. )

Shizuku never flatters people and not sympathize with people either. For instance, when Shizuku going to school wearing the cardigan on the uniform, there were a little classmates who were wearing the cardigan in her class. However, she did not take off the cardigan. You might unexpectedly think of this. However, if all neither or the same thing is done, the Japanese becomes uneasy. However, Shizuku does not do such an extra anxiety.

And, the decision making of Shizuku is very early and lucid. When Shizuku faces the situation which cannot correspond for herself, she loses the judgment power though. (For instance, when she is confessed suddenly by Mr. Sugimura) But usual Shizuku decides extremely promptly. It is hardly hesitant.

As for these characters, a usual girl junior high school student is largely different. It is an element the individual and the principle. That is, she might not be a Japanese, too. The much more, Shizuku has an entirely opposite character is done as a shy student who is frequent to the health room. (For instance, the dependence core is high, impossible to insist on one's opinion, flattering, determination is slow and it is shy and is passive also.) I wonder why such Shizuku will like health room.

I think that the reason is that the health room is the place where her identity is confirmed for Shizuku. Shizuku and her chums are doing quite interesting association. Their characters never mutually look like, and they belong to a quite different club. In general, the group of the friend is made for the reasons of same club or same character. However, the difference of each other is esteemed and they are suitable though mutual characters are different. Therefore, association different from the relation only of the crowd of the person who looks like mutually is done. Mutual merits are extended, makes up for mutual faults.

However, such a relation is at least small number of people in Japan. The reason is that usual Japanese used to symphathize with around them. Shizuku is doing the character the individual and the principle in the much more. If Shizuku does not suppress her insistence to moderation, she is likely to be isolated in the class. To maintain the harmony of the class, she should show a minimum adaptation. That is, she is buried in the whole in case of being in such a class.

In the movie, the scene in a municipal library appears a lot. However, the scene in the school in the library room appears only once that is for uninhabited in summer vacation. The reason is that minimum adaptation is demanded as long as it is in the school even if in the library room.

Here, the health room caught as "The place which depends on something" is sarcastically changed into "The place where her identity is confirmed". As a scene where not the escaped scene but the independence which is honored is kept. It is an existence reason for the health room for her.

With the recognition, Shizuku and her chum expand the lunch in the health room, and sing "Country Road" written by Shizuku which the most independent in four. Then they impressed on lyrics "without fear of being alone, I'll go, preserving my strong self".
Do you think that profundity is included in this scene?

The Tsukishima family who lives in a housing deveropment and located in the middle reaches class looks like to an ordinary home in Japan. However, the family tradition is largely different from it at general home. For instance, when the result of Shizuku fell, the correspondence of the family was peculiar. Especially, extremely unusual correspondence was done in Japan.

Shizuku began to write the story from the desire which is that she wanted to test her ability. Her family was consenting might done something by Shizuku since early time. However, the family did not try to be scrutiny Shizuku's what being done. After a while, it is understood that the result of Shizuku dove. The elder sister who knew it raged very much. But her parents dared not to pursue why did the result fall and what does she do instead of studying. Shizuku was insisted on, "I want to test my ability within three weeks" and she insisted that it be in a sense more important than study. And, her parents decided to leaves her spirit of independence. The principle of taking the responsibility for herself is confirmed to Shizuku. The elder sister also showed understanding and assisted in Shizuku at the end. What on the whole one is the family tradition and the policy of education?

I think that its summarizes becomes following, It is not dreaded not to use a thing. And, knowledge is assumed to be a property. It always judges for oneself and acts. And, the custom is assumed to be a property. The parent voluntarily shows the model. And, trust is assumed to be a property.

Tsukishima family is not interesting to the consumption life. Of course, Tsukishima family is enclosed by home electric appliances product as well as a general home and has the television. However, they does not have consideration which is that it is necessary to use it. Tsukishima family does not aimlessly turn on the power supply of the television. They do not watch the television as long as there is no necessity.

A thing is used only at necessary time and it is seen easiness because. However, it is unexpectedly difficult. In a general home, the power supply is turned on to the television even if there is no program which wants to see especially. The reason is to think that an expensive television is disadvantageous if they does not use it. It is thought that the basis fee becomes useless if a portable telephone is not even forcibly used. To similar, will you think that the internet is the same charge it and is more profitable as long use even if there is no site which wants to see? However, Tsukishima family does not have the conception of losing if a thing is not used.

The reason is for them not to use the reason and nor to think that the disadvantageous one is not a thing and is to think their head it and knowledge the disadvantageous one they not used it. Perhaps they do not have a wonderful property. Instead, the property of knowledge is being accumulated in each head.

By the way, though they value knowledge, the parents seems not to be instructe their children in knowledge so much. I imagined, it is neither "Knowledge for study" it was nor "Studied custom" that they taught to children.

Of course, it is included to think for oneself, to judge for oneself, and to act for oneself in the custom. They had children apply the custom first studied before memorizing knowledge. And, the acquisition of knowledge was left to the customs of children. Parents do not interfere what their child does. This is to consist because it taught the child the importance of the custom.

And, parents are practicing their education policies by an own action instead of only a lip service. A usual parent says to their child, "Study ardently." and, there are a lot of parents who have the child commute to the cram school, too. However, the parents's interest is only watching the professional baseball game on TV. One of the education books is not read.

Parents of Tsukishima family do not say to the child, "Study ardently." and do not say, "Go to the cram school.". The parents does not interfere in their child and do only single-mindedly researching them. However, what the parent voluntarily studies is profitable so that their child may educate. The reason for their child is that the appearance which the parent is studying is imitated.

It is not dreaded not to use a thing, Knowledge is valued, valued to act by voluntarily thinking, valuded the custom of study, and the parents shows the sample what to study appearance . It can be said that these are ways of the family tradition of Tsukishima and the education policies.

Therefore, parents do not have what left to the independence of Shizuku because they abandoned the role as the parent. The parent might have needed the courage considerably for the judgment. The reason is that right or wrong of their education policies is asked.

The parents were very splendid. They were able to have the daughter studied compulsorily. However, they bet on daughter's independence to the last. They might not have been able to give such determination to their daughter judging by her thinking and having the ability to act. And, they might not have been able to give such determination to their daughter already has a custom of study. Parents had their education policies and trusted their daughter. And, the daughter Shizuku also answered the expectation of her parent at the end. No do be known whether the most important property of Tsukishima family is this parent and child's "Trust" either.

"Niigata-Kashiwazaki city is my father's old town. However, my home town has only Tama. By the way, what is the town in Tama?"

The town where Shizuku lived cut the Tama hill open and was made. Her town has neither a peculiar culture nor the tradition, it was artificially made. Her town is plane of the forest, buries the valley, and the development is advanced......
The only "Home town" for herself is too incomprehensible. It is too vague.

"I do not understand something well with "Home town". Therefore, I expressed honest my feelings about translating the lyrics."

How did Shizuku felt when she translates the "Country Road".

What one is "Home town" where I live?

Shizuku had never considered the town where she lived as her own "Home town". The town did not pass by there in the place only her living now.

In general, "Home town" associates the country scenery of the beautiful country. Also in the nursery rhyme of Japan, there is a song to yearn for the hometown missing by them. "Usagi oishi kano yama, kobuna tsurishi kano kawa..... (I would ran after the rabbit in the mountain, catch of a small carp in the river......)" The reason for it is that it is the one like a kind of field scenery with everyone if it is a Japanese. However, such the country scenery is not passed for Shizuku who knows only a Tokyo outskirts advanced by urbanization in the world of the image. She does not especially have the yearning to the country. Because, she canceled by the reason of having disliked accompanying the travel by which the relative who lived in Kashiwazaki which was father's hometown was visited with the elder sister.

However, it might be certain that the translation of "Country Road" became an opportunity when Shizuku begins to think about her "Home town". Though the scene does not exist because it was drawn especially clearly, the melody of "Country Road" which flows according to the progress of the story has progressed simultaneously with the process by which Shizuku finds "Home town".

Original English song of "Country Road" flows suddenly by opening about the movie. As for English lyrics and the combination of the bustle scenes in the city, I feel the sense of incompatibility a little. However, because Shizuku had not understood her "Home town" well yet, the back ground music of this scene might have been good like original English song. After, a finished degree of lyrics translated into Japanese went up as she understood her "Home town".

It was a summer vacation that "Country Road" which had been translated for the first time had come out. On the bench in the schoolyard, Shizuku and Yuko sang lyrics tentatively translated. A finished degree was low though it had been certainly devised. "Concrete road" sung at the same time by them in the place is seemingly seen like the satire. But, the fact shows that she did not recognize the reality that she just live there now. She felt the fact as if the stranger thing.

The following scene was a health room at September. Meanwhile, Shizuku found the "Chikyuh-ya", the earth shop and met grandfather Nishi. I think that there was an influence in that her for her to recognize "Home town" and that that was useful for improving a finished degree of the translation of Country road.

"Home town" is not a mere scenery. There needs to be a person whom you know in the town. There needs to be a person who knows you in the town. Otherwise, you cannot feel that your "Home town". Here, meeting in places other than the home and the school, that is, finding of "Chikyuh-ya", the earth shop and meeting with grandfather Nishi were dramatic events which exactly led to "Home town" finding for Shizuku.

As for Grandfather Nishi does not show the sales smile, but devoted service soul is vigorous. He takes part in any consultation of Shizuku. And, he assists in Shizuku gently and powerfully indifferently explaining this furnace of the workman. (it is idealized too much...) I think, grandfather Nishi was "Adult who understands her well" perhaps which meets for the first time in the town for Shizuku where nobody knows only at the family and the school.

Shizuku shouts descending the stairs which lead to the library.
"I have found a wonderful place."
The cat runs after, pass the library and pull out, thrill by which door is got over, rapid acclivity, town on hill seen for the first time, rotary, "Chikyuh-ya" the earth shop, grandfather Nishi, the stairs looks down at library, etc.... As for her expression which seemed to be glad, pleasure that her sphere of the action extends to the town was largely expressed. Wondering whether the pleasure was reflected, the translation of "Country Road" was refined more.

The following scene is an improvisation concert in that famous earth shop. It is significant to it not is and nor the singing in the town at the school. By the way, this scene depends for many by chance though. Therefore, this scene does not have an aggressive meaning. However, after this scene, Country road became a song for Shizuku and Seiji though this song was originally translated for the event of the school.

The following are scenes which Seiji confesses to Shizuku in fact in the rooftop. In this scene, the song was not sung. However, this scene contains more important meaning than it sings in a sense. An average town in Tama of just the end of rain has extended to two persons' presences. Seiji was said to Shizuku being possible to shine seeing the scenery of their town.
"I shall sing your song and hold out when going to Italy."
The song is "Country Road" which Shizuk exactly translated. Seiji wanted to sing the song thinking of their "Home town" and wanted to sing the song thinking of Shizuku, too. How many times this song was sung by seiji in Italy?

And, the last scene. "Country Road" was performed as if it is enclosing completely Shizuku and Seiji who look down at town encompassed by morning haze.
It was a beautiful scenery. Even this scenery was suitable for consciousness when it was their "Home town". Shizuku thought that she hold out and live here seeing this scenery.
Memories of Shizuku are piled in the town. And the base of her life is made there. There is a town where her parents live, where friend lives, where grandfather Nishi lives, and, where the same time at present is spent with her boyfriend Seiji.......

When she felt them, the scenery which extended under her eyes became true "Home town".

We Japanese feel real the scenery of present age Japan drawn by "Whisper of the Heart". Scenery which we saw somewhere, bustle of town, appearance of home where life feeling is filled, etc. However, the age keeps changing without the rest. Therefore, it is forecast that many of these riality promptly changes into nostalgia. The present age is said while this change that highly developed informationization revolutionis progressing. Hereafter, we will experience a drastic change in 10 years. The change might be much larger than the change which has been experienced in 10 years in the past.

The generation of Shizuku will experience the highly developed informationization revolution. Therefore, they become the end generations of the learning of a conventional life custom. A lot of customs being lost now are described in the stage of the life of Shizuku. Then, "Whisper of the Heart" will be evaluated as a work which spotlights Japan immediately before the highly developed informationization revolution is represented the 1990's in the future. It can be understood that it is similar to "My neighbor Totoro" by which the farm village immediately before highly developed economic growth (1060's) is described.
Let's see some customs which will not be seen in the future as follows.

(1).The last generation in which books card is used.
The lending system at the library was almost made a bar code now. The generation which will enter the school child age hereafter does not have the chance to have already used the lending card. Then, Shizuku became the last generation to rent the book by using the lending card. This system cannot know the name of the person who rent the book earlier than one rent it. That is, Shizuku cannot find the name of Amasawa Seiji if Shizuku is five years old younger. Additionally, it is not possible to inform that books were rent earlier than girls to whom Seiji is paying attention by leaving the name if Seiji is five years old younger, too. That is, meeting such as Shizuku and Seiji will have permanently become impossible in the future.

(2).The last generation to which story is written by hand.
The word processor has already been introduced into Tsukishima family. All members can master it excluding Shizuku. Shizuku will also write the story by either using the word processor. But, at any rate, Shizuku might be the last generation by which the education which uses the word processor is not received. Generation below from Shizuku are familiar with the keyboard since young. The custom of writing by compose long using the word processor might acquire them from the beginning.

(3).The last generation unnecessary one is not carried about.
Shizuku was free-handed when she goes out. She was able to walk in coolness without having anything in the town. It is likely to be thought of this naturally. However, the custom with something without fail infiltrates in present Japan when going out. If one does not have anything, they become uneasy.
A pocket beeper and a portable telephone have gained in popularity recently. As for these, they does not understand whether the business used when is generated. Therefore, whenever the person goes out, they will carry. The person cannot go out only for this custom even to extend without having anything.

(4).The last generation by which distance feels in communications.
Mysteriously, there was no scene which Shizuku and Seiji called in "Whisper of the Heart". They met always directly communications. It is usual to tell Shizuku an accurate date where Seiji goes to Italy with the telephone. However, Seiji went to the library to meet Shizuku, and told it directly to her instead of confirmed that Seiji had Shizuku in the library. Therefore, an international telephone did not hang from Italy to the house of Shizuku. They did not take all reports for two months. And, they held out in each place. It was possible to endure even if not calling because they had had feelings of the understanding of each other and suitable.
I think that the most much ruining now is this kind of diredt communications. Anyway, the internet is an age all over the world which gains in popularity at the present age. If the internet is used, communications are possible do not consider an actual distance. And, people will use it naturally. It will be thought that it is extremely primitive not to do communications as many as two months like the way of Seiji and Shizuku.
However, it is thought that it is wonderful to be able to trust mutual love even if communications are not done. I think that it is an antithesis to the present age when communications can be done always easily. Communications can be easily done at the present age. However, if communications cannot be done oppositely, one becomes uneasy. One tries always to take communications because it is not popular among mutual bonds. And, one is relieved.

Though it is paradoxical, mutual trust such as Seiji and Shizuku is valuable. They did not take physical communications. However, they were fulfilled only by mental communications even if they do not talk for two months. They did not depend on indirect communications like the telephone. They valued immediate communications. Therefore, mutual trust was able to be constructed even with association for a short term.
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

煤炭精

在线时间
0 小时
威望
0 点
财产
4197 个栗子果
人气
0 ℃
最后登录
2005-10-1
注册时间
2005-7-24
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
地板
发表于 2005-8-29 23:36:53 |只看该作者

The job of the Seiji's father is uncertain. In "Whisper of the Heart", it is not especially set. However, the Seiji's father is a medical practitioner in Original comic. And, there were the following scenes in the movie that the teacher said "That Amasawa clinic is........" in the staff room. Therefore, it can be judged that Seiji's father is a medical practitioner.

Seiji spoke about Seiji 's father to Shizuku several times in his speech but he did not perform to the movie. Possibly, Seiji 's father might have appeared only once. However, Seiji 's father was the same as little existence.

Shizuku met on Seiji and the extending passage at lunchtime of the beginning of September. At this time, there was a man who had been walking with Seiji. There is a theory that he is Seiji 's father. The reason is that he was putting on slippers for the visitor.

Seiji's grandfather and Shizuku's father has very a very important role in the movie. On the other hand, Seiji's father has little role. What is this reason?

As for this reason, the following are enumerated that the creed of Seiji's father did not agree with the outlook on the world of "Whisper of the Heart".

Grounds to reach this conclusion can be presumed from the career of grandfather Nishi. Let's think about the career of garndfather Nishi.

(1)Nishi had gone to study to Germany before World War II.

(2)It is understood that he was a very excellent student. Additionally, his family belongs to an affluent class.

(3)Then social situation did not permit going abroad to study for the training of the craftsman.

(4)There were a lot of students went to study to Germany to learn the medicine before World War II. mniho

(5)Therefore, the hypothesis that the profession of Nishi was a doctor is approved.
@

Hypothesis
The profession of Nishi was a doctor. Moreover, he was a doctor who had craftsman's knowledge. He is concentrating on the owner in the earth shop after he retired the doctor.

Incidentally, let's think about the Seiji's mother.

(1)Nishi is a grandfather of the mother's side of Seiji.

(2)That is, Seiji 's mother is daughter of Nishi.

(3)All families were opposed that Seiji go abroad of Italy to become a craftsman.

(4)That is, Seiji 's mother was opposed, too.

(5)However, Seiji 's mother is a daughter of Nishi.
She approved the participation of Seiji in the violin classroom in her parents' family.
Perhaps, she was showing understanding in work of workman.

(6)She wants to be likely to have assisted in Seiji in reality possibly.
But she is a standpoint of wife in the owner clinic. Therefore, she could do nothing but oppose becoming of the son to the workman.

Hypothesis
The mother of Seiji wants to be likely to have assisted in her son in the mind. However, she could do nothing but oppose it on her standpoint.

If these hypotheses are correct, Seiji's father's standpoint also turns out.

(1)Seiji's father is a medical practitioner. He has a standpoint as the owner of "Amasawa clinic". Therefore, he was hoping that his son become a medical practitioner, too. (In general, the medical practitioner in Japan hopes for heredity.)

(2)However, he was wishing that his son become a medical practitioner who has a variegated ability.
He gets his daughter of Nishi from the bride.
Perhaps, he might have secretly respected Nishi (his father-in-law). Because Nishi made the medical practitioner and the workman united splendidly.
Therefore, he also was approving that his son make a violin in Nishi's earth shop.

(3)The reason for it is that he assumed the medical practitioner like Nishi to be an ideal.

(4)However, his son started to say that he wanted to become the craftsman of the principal occupation.
He was surprised very much to hear the hope of his son.

(5)However, he was not inconsiderate about craftsman.
He was opposite to "Live as a workman".

(6)In general, the craftsman of the principal occupation has a lot of hardships. Income is not guaranteed, too.
The reason why his father-in-law Nishi was able to become an owner in the earth shop is that Nishi built the property as a medical practitioner. He hope that his son must imitate the medical practitioner by Nishi and imitate uniting the crafteman.

(7)However, he comprehended it was not model "coexist".
His son's model was "one's hope is carried out".
His father-in-law becomes a coexisting doctor and his son is about to become the craftsman of the principal occupation.
In that sense, Seiji has already imitated the father-in-law Nishi.

He was persuaded to his son's zeal. After all, he admitted Seiji to go to Italy. However, the condition was applied to going abroad of Seiji to study. He might still have had regret. Still,He might have hoped Seiji succeeded his clinic.

By the way, the outlook on the world of "Whisper of the Heart" was following "one's feelings are obediently expressed." Here, father's feelings were refracted very much. The feelings do not suit the outlook on the world of "Whisper of the Heart". Therefore, the Seiji's father might not have had a so much sense of existence. Still more, there is no sense of existence further that Seiji's mother is not mysterious.

What comparison are the families in "Whisper of the Heart"?

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

煤炭精

在线时间
0 小时
威望
0 点
财产
4197 个栗子果
人气
0 ℃
最后登录
2005-10-1
注册时间
2005-7-24
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2005-8-29 23:39:25 |只看该作者
Notes on Shizuku's expressions
It is said that the Japanese rarely change their facial expressions. For a foreigner, it's perhaps difficult to distinguish between them. However, Shizuku has a wide variety of expressions. The illustrations above are duplicates of the last scene of the movie. In the actual movie, they are drawn more elaborately.

At first, Shizuku listens casually to Seiji. But then she notices that he is proposing to her. She agrees at once, though is very surprised. She had thought about marriage, too. Only extremely pure love exists between them. For Japanese people today, this pure love is very shameful and pungent in a sense.

Here is the rooftop at the school. When Seiji came to meet Shizuku, she was teased by the other students in her class. So they went to the roof to talk alone.
Seiji tells Shizuku that he will be going to Italy soon. There he will be trained as a violin craftsman. Shizuku is surprised when Seiji reveals that he liked her before she noticed him. He used to sit in her vicinity at the library. But he was too shy to talk to her. Shizuku does not have a goal in life like Seiji.

This is the face which expressed her determination to create her new story. Her boyfriend Seiji had the dream of becoming a violin craftsman, and he was about to go to Italy to pursue it. This was a test of his ability. Because she was influenced by him, she decided that her ability should also be tested, and so she decided to write a story.

This decision was made in her friend Yuhko's house. Yuhko was worried about her own boy problems, and Shizuku was trying to help her. While there, Yuhko consulted Shizuku on her problem, as well. After Shizuku recovered, she encouraged Yuhk "You will surely acquire wonderful love."

Shizuku is writing her new story. In it, the doll Baron from grandfather Nishi's shop is the hero. Shizuku and Baron go out to look for a vein of ore. The title of the story is "Whisper of the Heart." It begins: "Let's hear the voice in the forest. Hear the memory of the wind which blows from a far foreign country. Hear the memory of the cloud seeing above emptiness."

Her father felt admiration for her ardent trial. However, he did not know concretely what she was doing. She sacrificed her studies to write the story, resulting in falling grades.

She was always smart. Therefore it wasn't a big problem if her grades fell a little bit. But before long, her family notices. Her elder sister is concerned the most, saying that the way things are going Shizuku won't be able to continue in high school. Shizuku wanted to argue that what she was doing was more important than trivial school studies, but she was unable to express it well.

Contrary to her elder sister, her parents were sensible. They allowed her to continue, and did not pursue the nature of her project. They valued independence over educational policies. Shizuku kept writing the story.

At last, the story was completed. Shizuku went directly to grandfather Nishi's shop. She was promising with him that when the story was completed, she will show him as the first reader. She was waiting until the grandpa finished reading her story. Several hours later, the grandfather Nishi called Shizuku and said, "Your story is very wonderful." On the contrary to this, Shizuku questioned Nishi severely, "Please tell me the truth. I know my story does not imperfect. Especially, it is cruel in the latter half of the story."

He said quietly, "Miss Shizuku, your story is rough style, frank, incomplete, and it likes Seiji's violin. You are wonderful. Do not take your time. Please make an effort to spend time to think over. She began to cry spilling big tears. She said, "I noticed, it is no good thing only to have feelings what to do. I should study more and more."

After she finished her story, it was corrected by grandfather Nishi. In this scene they eat "Nabeyaki-Udon," a kind of soup noodle of the Orient. The noodles (Udon) are made by boiling (yaki) in a pan (Nabe). When one is tired, eating these noodles will promptly improve one's stamina. Shizuku's relief is expressed well because grandfather Nishi admitted her effort and encouraged her. It is not clear if the noodles are made by grandfather Nishi or delivered from a grocery store.

Shizuku slept as soon as coming home without even changing clothes. Next, when she got up, it was still before daybreak. When she casually opened the window, Seiji was waiting for her to the ground.
How adventitious it is! He just returned from Italy yesterday. He heard from his grandp that Shizuku had made an serious effort when he had been in Italy.

He was not able to restrain feelings which got excited. And, he ran to her house before daybreak, and prayed, "Shizuku! I want to meet you!." Therefore, when she comes, he shouted,"It is miracle". She seems to be surprised very much. It might have been certainly a miracle. However, it is thought that it is different.

He applies for the proposal to her later.By the way, she did not only accept his proposal for the reasons to be impressed by the miracle.Because their feelings already commuted!!

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

煤炭精

在线时间
0 小时
威望
0 点
财产
4197 个栗子果
人气
0 ℃
最后登录
2005-10-1
注册时间
2005-7-24
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2005-8-29 23:40:58 |只看该作者
About "Whisper of the Heart"

The relations between the original comic and the movie.

The movie is based on a Japanese girls' comic. There are considerable differences between the movie and the comic, both in the content and the style of the artwork.
The original is a typical "girl's cartoon." The world is full of a girl's sweet dreams. The future of her life and a realistic view of the world do not mean much to Shizuku. Seiji is in a similar position when it comes to his life. However, when the movie was made the story was changed. Miyazaki Hayao largely changed their characters. The boy Seiji is aspiring to become a violin craftsman and study in Italy. The girl Shizuku is influenced by him and tries to confirm her own ability. As a result, she notices her ability and takes a greater interest in the course of her life. Shizuku and Seiji pledge their futures to each other at the end of the movie. This last scene is a little unrealistic, because they are too young. However, their souls have grown up enough, and they hereafter will grow up further.

Before being made into a film, "Mimi wo Sumaseba" comic was not known to a lot of people. By leaving behind the peculiar charm of the original comic, this movie is more easily understood by a hierarchy that is much greater than the original. One sympathizes with Shizuku's attempts to live powerfully. This homepage also deals with the movie.(Special thanks to Mr.Aaron Maupin )

Why was the "Whisper of the Heart" planned?

We are able to be forecast graduallly lucidly the twenty-one century that is full of chaos now. A social structure of Japan largely starts changing, and our age is surely in the change period. Common sense and the established theory until yesterday begin to become weak rapidly. A present, young generation has not received the influence yet. However, the sign starts surely.
What movie do we try to make in such an age?
Its answer is, Recur to essence of living.
Its answer is, Reconfirm an own starting point about it.
Its answer is, Though the fashion accelerates more and more, dare, without hearing about fashion.
The look which future is watched more and more is necessary now. We try to dare to produce the movie by which the look is expressed gracefully and boldly.

This work does not try to win the favor to a young spectator. About today's situation where young people are placed, this work shows off neither their doubt nor their problem, too. This work is a kind of provocation to young generation by old generation who regret their age of youth.
Young spectators are apt to give up their mind becoming hero in stage. The appearance is the same as old generation before. The movie tries to stir up the spectator's dryness of mind, and tries to tell them the importance of the yearning. The encounter with opposite sex who develops mutually.... As for Chaplin's work, the tendency was consistent.
This work intends "The great revival of the encounter".

The original of "Whisper of the Heart" is a ordinary girl's comic. It is quite a commonplace love story. In this comic world, a young couple's obstructed barriers do not have anything either.
There is neither traditional rule nor inconsiderate adults. The time when they experience the failure is still futuristic greatly. In this story, the girl who is sweet dreaming her future is a hero. It values feelings only of a young couples as well as a general girl's comic. Anything does not happen to an exaggerated event either. Only they confirmed their affection mutually.
Then, the story ends here. Generally, the girl's comic always ends here, and anything does not start any more either. Therefore, the girl cartoon has been supported by girls. The reason is that she manage not to experience the failure and her dream is maintained as it is.
Her boyfriend likes to draw the illustration. He is dreaming to become a professional painter in the future. However, he never imagines a severe reality to live as painter. Her dream is merely writes the folklore story as well as him. They enclosed within the range that is not face with severe reality.

Then, why do we try to make this comic the material of the movie?
The reason is that it is impossible tu deny the fact that "Yearning to meeting obediently drawn and unspoilt love" is the important truth in youth even if an old generation points out that it is weak, and it is an unreal dream.
It is easy for us to point it out that it cannnot approve obedient pure love in the age without the trouble. However, if it is it, cannot wonderful of obedient pure love be expressed oppositely with an overwhelming power? Obedience powerful to surpass reality is need us.
Here, the comic of "Whisper of the Heart" might become the nucleus of our try!

If Seiji is a boy who aims at to become a craftsman, if he is a boy who already decided to go to Italy and trained as a violin craftsman, what will be changed this story? To tell the truth, it is the idea to produce this movie.
Seiji is the boy who likes construction. And the boy who voluntarily plays violin.
His grandfather Nishi assumes the repair of old furniture and the old art to be his hobby, he also likes music, too. Because Seiji had grown up in the environment, he brought up the dream which became a violin craftsman.
Neither boy nor girl who are the same generation with Seiji holds wonderful hope in their future. They think that that there is no goodness at all even if they grow up either. However, Seiji lives steadily toward his future. When our heroine Shizuku meets him, what will she changed?
When such a question is originated, the ordinary girl's comic is suddenly transformed to the modern movie. It is as if the raw ore when grinds it and it is shining.

The movie is sure to be able to value the pure which the world of girl's comic has. And, at the same time, it is sure to be able to ask how do we live abundantly in today, and, how do we live with the dream and the yearning.
The movie of "Whisper of the Heart" challenges to add reality when possible to ideal encounter. Moreover, it challenges to declare "live is wonderful" loudness.
(Refer to the Press seat of "Whisper of the Heart")

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

煤炭精

在线时间
0 小时
威望
0 点
财产
1654 个栗子果
人气
0 ℃
最后登录
2005-10-5
注册时间
2005-7-23
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2005-8-30 18:09:55 |只看该作者
差不多能看懂拉~
没有理由地爱着アシタカ。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

煤炭精

在线时间
19 小时
威望
0 点
财产
1608 个栗子果
人气
6 ℃
最后登录
2012-3-1
注册时间
2008-8-29
帖子
主题
精华
积分
UID
发表于 2008-9-28 20:37:49 |只看该作者
英文不是蛮好,所以不大看得懂...............
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 加入画馆

Archiver|手机版|宫崎骏映画馆    

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 12:51 , Processed in 0.129445 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.